Every day, our volunteers support us in our mission to end homelessness. Could you join our team and help us create a society where everyone has a home?
We are seeking green-fingered enthusiasts with a passion for all things gardening! This is an ideal opportunity for someone training to be a professional gardener and would like to develop their experience or for an experienced gardener who would love the opportunity to share their enthusiasm and skills.
How you will make an impact
You will have the opportunity to:
- Promote mental wellbeing and reduce social isolation by encouraging clients to participate in gardening activities.
- Support clients to develop confidence and increase their self-esteem in a relaxed and welcoming environment.
- Assist clients to learn and develop gardening skills including how to grow fresh produce.
- Plan and grow flower beds and vegetable planters.
- Assist clients in the development and maintenance of a green space which everyone can enjoy.
We're with you every step of the way
As a Simon Community NI volunteer, you'll receive excellent ongoing support from a supervisor, our Volunteer Coordinator and existing volunteers. Before beginning your volunteering, you will receive a full induction and any necessary training, ensuring you feel part of the team from the start.
- Additionally, you will have the opportunity to: Be part of a team dedicated to ending homelessness.
- Enhance your CV by developing your interpersonal, communication and leadership skills.
- Receive out of pocket expenses as outlined in our Volunteer Expenses Policy.
The skills and personality we are seeking
- Enthusiasm and passion for gardening
- Motivation to support individuals who are experiencing homelessness
- Ability to work with individuals who may present with complex needs with sensitivity and respect
- An empathetic and non-judgemental outlook
- Ability to work as part of a team but also able to use yoru own initiative
- Good communication and timekeeping skills
We are looking for someone who would be available for one session per week (2 – 3 hours), ideally for six months. We would also ask you to commit to the following:
- Demonstrate Simon Community NI values of being non-judgemental and client-led.
- Willingness to attend supervision and training in order to develop further in your volunteering role.
- Operate within all relevant SCNI policies and guidelines, including safeguarding, health and safety, equal opportunities and confidentiality.
Essential checks we will need to complete with you
If you are successful at interview, we will need to process some routine pre-volunteering checks. These will include an Enhanced Access NI check (free for volunteers). We will ask you to provide necessary documentation at interview.
You will also be asked to provide two satisfactory references. Please note that we cannot accept references from family members or partners.
Ready to apply?
Please complete all sections of the application fully. Once submitted, we will be in touch with information on the next steps. If you experience any problems with your application or have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us via email or phone.